Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Its that time of year again, America time. Thursday marked the start of a very busy two weeks when it comes to travel and racing. Thursday morning I packed up my things, tossed a couple bikes into my car and headed towards White Rock. I have to admit that I do miss White Rock. Growing up in bigger city's the small community feel of White Rock is kinda nice. I met my good pal Attila Hadju at his place, enjoyed a cup of coffee, re packed all my stuff into his task force sized truck and headed for the Ki boarder!

This was the first time I've done the drive to Portland with some one else. Ive been back and forth to Portland to race, train or hang out many times since living in British Columbia but always ended up doing it solo. This was a nice change!

The plan was to arrive in Portland in time to hit Alpenrose Dairy at its hottest time of day, mid afternoon. That particular track is a reputation of being really rough. Within North America its the most unique track I have ever rolled on. Its also my fav to race on. It was built in the 60's based on the old mile standard. 6 laps to a mile. Its known for its long straits, ultra tight turns and abrupt transitions off the banking, or lack there of. It makes for a lot of fun, adds some different factors to the racing and some days leaves you wishing you wore two pairs of shorts. Thursday was the first day in a week that a cold that I hoped was allergies started to subside. I knew however that without rest, and hard racing instead it wouldn't go away. But that wont stop the best of racers from doing what they love. After a few efforts we call openers at Alpenrose we jumped back in the truck and headed towards the hotel for some dinner and rest.

Friday morning I started my day with a nice easy pedal around downtown. My destination was VooDoo doughnuts but when I arrived I discovered that the 20bux I had packed in my pocket had flown off and probably made some one else day!  We ate lunch, packed up and drove to the track to get ready for the first night of racing. Kilo.

First turn into the Kilo.

The track was hot, I mean hot. All though I felt better than the day before I knew the illness had left its mark on me. Warmed up in my usual fashion, witch means a few efforts on light gears, then some on race gears, a few hard lactic activating efforts followed by being on and off the rollers for an hour to stay hot before the elite riders are called up. 

I was second last to go. I have won this event in the past and was labeled as a potential winner. Tonight was more a test to see how the training has been going. I was looking forward to seeing how I'm going but not to the pain and anguish after the ride! My ride went without any major issue and I settled into the top spot. Kevin Mansker was the last up to go. I have to admit it was one hell of a ride. Kev's coming off form from US Olympic trials and holds the record for kilo on that track. Not only did he set the new fastest time he re set his own record. Being a bride's made, also known as taking second never feels good but at least I got a good indicator of how the training is going. Some one asked me if being sick still cost me the win. Really its tough to say, Would I have gone faster? Absolutely. Would I have beat Kevin, probably not. He is really going fast. After a nice spin on the road bike to cool off and flush out we went back to the hotel to eat, and sleep. Saturday was going to be a long, hot day.

...And at full flight.

Saturday morning was a warm one already, The racing today for Elite sprinters was Keirin and then Team Sprint. I felt pretty rough from the kilo and the cold but was keen and ready to race. I had a very hard first heat in the Keirin. Lots of horsepower. Ultimately I ended up getting third in the heat witch put me into a repacharge ride. A rep ride is basically like a last chance to make the final. I knew what had to be done but was up against some fast riders as well as a local rider who is not only faster than he ever has been this year but knows every inch of this track like its his child! When the motor pulled I should have made a harder move to get to the front and control the race but instead decided to play it safe and let it pick up speed. When it took off I left a good amount of room ahead of me to rush into. Into the last turns I made my move to charge and came up only just short at the line. It was a bit disappointing to be honest but my day wasn't done.

Leaving some room to play, Keirin Rep.

After a lunch break the big event of the evening was the team sprint. This was the first time Cycling BC has entered a team sprint at any race in a long time. I was racing with team mates Eddy Reid and Scott Mulder. It was for lack of a better term a trial run to see how well we can go together. Attila was put into a last Minuit made up team and got to join the fun too. At the end of it I have to say I was pleased. I was a bit rattled when I watched Scott's back wheel skip up track at full gas half way through his lap but he dropped me off at a good speed to finish off my lap. After all the teams had gone we ended up in third place. Job well done boys! The plan now is to perfect it at a few more summer races before Nationals in September. After that we all watched the Elite men's points race that Scott's brother Eric and my friend's Emile de Rosney and Zak Kovalick were racing in. It was good fun to watch and a great race. Zak spent a few weeks racing in Europe and has been on killer form since. He won it. After a great burrito dinner it was time to veg out, watch moves in our hotel room and get some rest.

Sunday morning it was raining. A repeat of last year. My cold was also getting worse again. When we got to the track a new start time for qualifying had been set once the sun showed up. I however didn't feel good at all. I hate scratching out of races but I knew if I didn't give my body a chance to rest I'll be sick for weeks and with another big race coming up this week I'd rather be well. I also learnt my lesson many years ago about training and racing while sick. Google Pericarditus. 

With all that behind us it was time to head back to the hotel, enjoy a pre drive shower, eat the best Ruben sand witch Ive ever had and start the drive home. By 11pm I was safely in my own bed, and having a hard time keeping my eyes open. That's why I'm typing this morning instead! haha. I was a bit bummed out that I didn't get to hang out with my old friend Bill Alsup this year. I've stayed with Bill in the past. Hes a rando rider and one hell of a coffee drinker too!

This week will prove to be a busy one too. Tomorrow - Tuesday I'll be in Whistler acting as guest wrench for GT Bicycles. Wednesday at some point I'm headed down to Seattle for the Marymoore GP that starts on Friday again. I haven't decided what events Ill ride in yet, a lot of that will depend on my cold going away in full but as always It will be a great event.

More to come!

J

No comments: