Friday, February 03, 2012

Heller! Schneller!



Well, to those of you who aren't into U-boat movies, or aren't from Germany either the title can only mean this update is about the little German gem in my garage. Heller = brigher, Schneller = faster.

The past 3 weeks have been pretty wild in life. I was faced with the task of moving to a new place in Langley. I don't own much stuff, but a lot of what I do own is a pain in the ass and takes up space. Alot of it car stuff that had been sitting around, hanging on walls or stacked up in corners, like any car dork's house. I decided rather than make 2 or 3 extra trips back and forth just in car parts I would dedicate a few nights to getting work done to the car, no matter how cold or wet and then go on the craigslist sell-a-thon of all time.

The biggest update to the car by far was switching out the stock "North American" Jetta grille, square lights and rad support for the "E-code" Quad round lights, badgeless grille and rad support to hang the rounds on. All that stuff was pretty easy to do actually, spite having most of the front of the car dissembled. The real task was bilding a relay harness for the lights that takes the power right off the batteries so they are super bright - heller, and power full. The nice part about these lights is the light only goes where its aimed. Aimed properly It looks like sunlight out front of the car, but not to your eye balls if your the oncoming cutie in a Honda Civic. If you are the moron who drives a civic around with poorly set up HID's however my high beams will probably melt the paint off the front of your car, and give you a blistering sunburn



The next step was to get rid of my little Scirocco wheels. I loved them since no-one had a set, especially after I re finished them, but it was time to move on. Without having a set of wheels with tires ready to go onto the car I tossed the set of Rocco wheels, and the Passat wheels up on craigs to see what would happen. Within a few days both sets were spoken for, and I had to scramble to find a set of wheels to get the car on! Whoops! Ultimatly I ended up with a set of VW Factory silver steelies with mint tires for nothing compared to what I sold my two sets of wheels for. The only thing missing was the the low profile black center caps on order with PG Preformance as we speak. Ive never had anything against the steel wheel look but usually only thought of it as a winter set up thing. In the past few months the look of steelies in that traditional German silver color has grown on me. I cant wait to touch up the wheels a bit and get the tires all nice and cleaned up. It certainly handles alot better with the slightly lower profile tires.

Last but not least, I picked up a matching color spoiler from a Jetta GTX 16v car to replace the stock late model foamy Wolfsberg one I have. I was going to go with an M3 style spoiler but in the end I decided it would make my car look too much like a high school kids car. I'm hesitant to drill holes in the trunk to mount it but I'm sure with care and patience I can get it mounted nicely.

The next few projects I think are more interior ones as I'm done with creating wiring harnesses for a bit I hope. I'd like to ditch the stock wheel for either a Corrado one or a Momo style race wheel, aswell as change out all the shifting linkage bushings + add the short shift linkage I've been keeping in my tool box for months. Im sort of activly searching for an eye lid for my front grille. Not the easiest thing to find anymore. I would also like a set of higher bolstered Recaro's from a GTI or GLI. Id love to go with a full on racing bucket, but the issue is that my big sprinters ass doesnt fit into one for very long very well. haha.

No comments: